The Strad gathered seven precious tips about motivating yourself to practice, from seven top violinists.
1. Put yourself in the composer’s shoes.
Nicola Benedetti, May 2019
2. Choose repertoire you love.
Leila Josefowicz, April 2019
3. Be patient.
Hilary Hahn, May 2017
4. Stay focused on what you want.
James Ehnes, August 2014
5. Divide up your practice time.
Sarah Chang, March 2015
6. Plan your practice according to how you feel.
Rachel Podger, May 2014
7. Enjoy not practising.
Julian Rachlin, April 2009